My boss is English, as am I. In England, recently, there was a huge scandal about the expense accounts of our politicians, as well as those of BBC staff (the BBC is publicly funded by a tax on owning a TV). Our primary donor is DFID, so our funds come from the same taxpayers' pockets as those that fund politicians and the BBC.
At least all the BBC expenses all seemed to be legitmately work related, and I don't see the problem with them. Politicians' expense claims included moat-cleaning and a duck-island. Hardly work-related. The expenses of my boss appear to be more along these lines - a $600 watch because his broke (whilst in a sauna on holiday), as well as furniture for his flat "to be consistent with the office furniture, just in case the office needs more at some stage - it is sensible to have an extra supply". [When the office did need extra, of course, he got me to order some more, rather than volunteer the furniture of his flat. We now have two tables we have no use for, or space to put up!]
Today's anecdote: whilst in central Paris about to attend a meeting, he phones me to tell me he's at the venue. Can I please phone the lady he is supposed to be meeting to tell her that. When I can't get hold of her on her mobile he asks I call her direct line at the office - an hour outside the city - to try and get hold of her that. At no point does he think "I'm calling halfway round the world from my mobile, to get someone who is not supposed to be my PA to call someone who is probably 30 yards away from me"!
No comments:
Post a Comment